VIPS Field Trips & Events 2018 - (updated as of March 6, 2018)
To the members of the VIPS:
Upcoming Field Trips and Lectures for 2018
The VIPS plans to have field trip each month. We also have a VIPS meeting on the second Wednesday of each month.
All are welcome. Most field trips leave from Dan’s. Please call me, 250 897 5026 and or meet at 2120 Stewart Ave.
I will update the events periodically based on weather or conflicts.
1) March 10th-11th: VIPS AGM, AGM at 1:00 – 1:45 Lecture at 1:45, “Hunting Fossils in the Canadian Arctic”, presentation by Jim Haggart of the GSC/ Fossil Casting Workshop with Rod Bartlett 1:45 - 5:30 and Sunday 9:30-12:30-3:30.
View photos on workshop below.
2) April 7th, Saturday: 1:00- 4:00: Dinosaurs of Tumbler Ridge/ Rich McRae and Lisa Buckley. Titles to come.
3) April 7th-8th: Courtenay Rock and Gem at the Royal Canadian Legion 367 Cliff Ave. Setup Saturday morning 9:00-9:30am. Opening to the public 10:00 am-5:00 Sat. and 10:00-4:00 Sunday/ Need Volunteers/ call Dan 250 897 5026 New members welcome to come help out and learn about fossils and gems.
4) April 29th, Sunday: Hornby Island, Field Trip # 1; (12:00 pm 1.4 /low tide), Depart from Dan’s at 8:10 am catch the 9:00 ferry to Denman. Arrive Hornby 11:00 am. (Find what the winter storms turned up) Car pool.
5) May 13th Sunday: Shelter Point Field Trip. Low tide @10:00am of 1.8m, Sunday. Meet at Dan’s 8:30 am, Crabs, ammi’s and lobsters, new sites. Car pool.
6) May 27th, Sunday: Hornby Island Field Trip #2; (11:00 pm 1.2 low tide) Depart from Dan’s at 8:15am catch the 9:00 ferry to Denman. Arrive Hornby 11:00am. (Looking for Mosasaurs) car pool.
7) June 9th-10th, Sat. and Sun: Ripple Rock and Gem at CR Community centre, 401 11th Ave. Set up @ 8:30-9:30 Saturday morning. Opening to the public 10:am-5:00 Sat. and 10:00-4:00 Sunday/Need volunteers/
8) June 24th, Sunday: Puntledge River/ Von-Arcs site morning and Cessford road site afternoon/early trip to look for heteromorph ammonites.
9) July 22nd, Sunday: Field Trip Denman Island/ catch the 9:00am ferry from Buckley bay. Low tide at 9:00 am 1.4 m / Rare Gaudryceras denmanense…..
10) August 4th, Saturday: VIPS Annual Saber-Tooth Salmon BBQ at Dan’s. 2120 Stewart, bring friend, food, beverage, and lawn chair and auction item. Social @ 4:00-5:00/Dinner @ 5:00-6:00/ Auction 6:00-7:00.
11) August 17th to 20th: 12th BC Symposium • Welcome reception at the CDMPC on Friday. Presentations at the Florence Filberg on Saturday and Sunday, field trips Sunday afternoon and Monday.
12) Sept 9th, Sunday: Memekay Main in Sayward, meet at Dan’s at 7:30 am, all day trip to Jurassic Marine sediments.
13) September 22nd, Saturday TBA……..
Moulding / Fossil Casting Workshop Photos:
Replica of Kourisodon skull
Making skull moulds
Latex moulds x 4
Latex ammonite mould
Rod Bartlett - Mould Man